This is my 3rd personal blog and I have been involved in 2 team blogs too.  Sadly while I start with good intentions it doesn’t last long before I get the fear and stop writing.  I understand the theory of why blogging is good and I have a lot of great things to share with people.  I just never get round to doing it.  I realise now that I need some help to avoid those nagging thoughts when I try and write something.

I suppose what I really need to ask you is how do you avoid the stage freit?   Is it all down to planning and preparation so you have the notes to fall back on should you get brain freeze?  Do you just write a bunch of topics when you feel prolific and schedule them for later or do you just write when the moment takes you?

Any tips on how to avoid the pitfalls would definitely help me achieve one of my goals for 2016.  🙂

noob_down

10 Comments

1. Victoria Sol
    January 18, 2016 / 10:51 am

I am very amused by your choice of picture for this post. 🙂

Personally, I just write in the moment. The only real preparation I do most of the time is gather pictures ahead of time. I suppose I have an idea in my mind of what to write about, but the words only flow when I sit down to write. Everyone’s different, though. 🙂

• January 18, 2016 / 11:06 am

Thanks, I went looking on google images before I realised I had one already. 😛

Haha yeah you’re right, we are all different. I think about things for ages, even managing to get a mental plan in place then when I try and sit down to write – all words fail me. I go through a process of doubting I will ever find them in the word carousel in my brain until I give up. 🙂

I guess writing down my thoughts as soon as I have them would help me.

• Victoria Sol
        January 18, 2016 / 11:24 am

You could try carrying a small notebook/notepad or a dictaphone of some sort around with you and write down ideas as they come. I used to do this when writing lyrics. A nice line can hit at any time and it’s good to have a way to record it. 🙂

• January 18, 2016 / 11:41 am

I like this idea. I have apps for notes and recording sound so no reason I couldn’t use it for speech too. Not sure I like the sound of my own voice but will give it a try if I can find a place with minimal background noise. 😛

2. January 18, 2016 / 5:21 pm

I tend to write when the moment takes me but I plan to schedule reminders, so hopefully not too many weeks pass between posts!

• January 18, 2016 / 6:43 pm

Reminders is a really good idea. How often do you set them up?

• January 18, 2016 / 7:11 pm

I’m going to try weekly so that if I reschedule the reminder I should be writing a post at least once a fortnight!

• January 18, 2016 / 8:19 pm

Sounds good. I’m thinking if I have a few ideas at once to write them in wordpress in draft as I think of them. I can then schedule them for later so I have a couple more weeks to think up some more. 😛

3. July 6, 2016 / 11:08 pm

I have to admit I tend to write in the moment, although saying that I often have taken pictures which I might of taken for/ shared via twitter, instagram or for listing items in my etsy shop. I have written a few notes on various stones and also dug up old pictures of artwork to share when I’ve been having a look through them =)

• July 10, 2016 / 2:50 pm

I need to be more spontaneous with my posts. I tend to write about what’s on my mind but it takes me a while to feel comfortable to share it. 🙂