This week Etsy Resolution got me thinking about my photos as some of them don’t do the products justice. If you’ve ever had to photograph printed designs you’ll know the problems I’ve been having. The aim is to make the media and the design look as crisp as possible but both can look pixelated when photographed.

The results can look anything but professional.  Any attempts to correct it can make them look bleached which in turn reduces the quality of the digital design.  One tip I have experimented with this weekend comes from Lyndsey James of Photocraft.  She told to me that if you struggle to achieve a perfect white background then why not go for a comfortable grey.  This is ideal for my white stickers on a white backing sheet.

Here are the results of my experiments using some 1 inch circle stickers that I made for Victoria from Destai Designs on Etsy.   By not having to make the background a crisp white colour I can ensure the digital design has the right amount of contrast.  Keeping the brightness down means the white stickers show up against the white backing sheet.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

It looks like I have a lot more listings to work on now.  Do you have trouble photographing any of your listings?

12 Comments

1. Victoria Sol
    February 7, 2016 / 10:22 pm

Yay! ^.^ Looks great! 🙂

• February 7, 2016 / 11:07 pm

Thanks, I must get more practice but I really enjoyed experimenting. Can’t wait to see them on your boxes. 🙂

2. February 9, 2016 / 10:10 am

Ta for the tips! I’m having a hard time trying to come up with a plan for updating my photos (lack of time doesn’t help!) but I did pick up one of those light tents with lights at a boot sale the other week and tried a few test shots with it – it does help! Just need to learn how to use OH’s posh camera instead of using my phone, then find a free day or two to have a big photography session!

3. February 9, 2016 / 5:33 pm

Great tip. I use my phone too but generally enhance the photos after on the computer. That lens looks cool.

• February 9, 2016 / 5:37 pm

The way the weather is here I always have to enhance my photos afterwards. That may change if I use my daylight bulbs in a lamp though………. must investigate!

I love the lens, especially now that I have an SD card in the lens itself and I can take his-res images. It saves a low-res version to my phone’s photo album and I was using that at first. RTFM! 😉

4. February 11, 2016 / 2:47 am

Agreed with you, sometimes you have to give up and not use the white background on white to save your sanity! I shoot product photos for clients and photographing white against white and clear against white is a nightmare. I’m going to look into filters soon that may help with that. Good luck with your shoots, your stickers look nice and clear!

• February 11, 2016 / 12:37 pm

Thanks @thriftcore I’d love to know if any filters actually help. 🙂

5. February 16, 2016 / 9:32 pm

This is a great suggestion! Gray is not my favorite color, but, I have found that it is great for photographing. Photographing my jewelry and other products to sell on Etsy is the most challenging of all that I do. It takes so much time and energy to photograph. Lighting is always a problem and I am planning to experiment with daylight bulbs, too.

• February 16, 2016 / 9:46 pm

I feel the same way as you, I would never have thought of grey myself but it does work with certain colours.

Daylight bulbs have made a huge difference to being able to work during the dark evenings so I can’t wait to try them for photography too. 🙂

• February 16, 2016 / 9:47 pm

I’m glad you found it helpful and thanks for sharing it. 🙂